Friday, January 22, 2010

A hitchhikers guide to the galaxy of words

For those of you planning on coming to Full Belly who think they already know Spanish, think again. I consider myself pretty fluent when it comes to speaking Spanish since technically it was my first language. But even so I was a bit turned around when I first came here and heard those Sinaloan words being shot around, rapid-fire. The accents seemed so foreign and the speed at which it all came rushing in didn’t leave me any time to sort anything out.

But already after just a few weeks my ears have become unbelievably well adjusted. It’s scary how I can barely hear the accent anymore…

So, for the benefit of those who are planning a trip to Sinaloa any time soon, or for that matter for those of you visiting Guinda, CA, I have started compiling a farm-word dictionary:

bato = a guy

baybies = bebés (babies)

bichi = desnudo (naked)

bin = bote (bin)

brakes (brah-ques) = frenos

catchár = atrapar (catch)

chanse = quizá (maybe)

juga

marketa = mercado (market)

morro = dude

parking = estasionár (park)

Pablo = Paul Muller (Paul is one of four Full Belly owners. For a week I looked around for this guy Pablo so I could introduce myself. Then I realized it was Paul's Spanish name.)

panchi = corto (short)

ride (rai-te) = aventón (ride)

tirar roll = hang out

trocka (troh-ca) = camioneta (truck)

trocke (troh-que) = camión (big truck)


No comments:

Post a Comment