Monday, January 25, 2010

More and more and more, and less

Again, lots more life today. And as I have become so well aware of now -- with life, comes death. I took care of two new lambs today. And also this morning the sow gave birth to seven new piglets just as we were in the middle of chaos, chasing a blundering pig around the garden. "Turmoil in the animal kingdom!" I shouted to Alex as I ran across the yard. 
Anyhow, after a lot of frustration we did finally manage to herd the pigs into their trailer. But in this moment of calm I suddenly felt the intensity of the moment. On one hand I knew that I had just secured these pigs to their unfortunate fate, sealing them safely inside the trailer that would carry them away to the butcher. At the same time, just feet away from these unfortunate ones, I knew seven new lives were busy nursing at their mothers' side.

No comments:

Post a Comment