Monday, January 4, 2010

Full Belly: Day 1

Today was surprisingly much more low key than expected. Last night I spent hours in my room surrounded by piles of clothing, but so far packing has been way more stressful than actually being here. With a frost still looming in recent history, the farm is moving slowly and stiffly.

Since my departure in the fall, things have mostly stayed the same here. The most noticeable change is the new office building that is starting to look more and more like an actual office than a skeleton of a building. Besides the construction, the only other change is my new abode and the three new neighbors that come along with it. My new home is a dusty old abandoned pink trailer behind the barn. But after only a few hours of work, I think I am finally moved in! I spent a long time getting rid of dust and cobwebs – which will undoubtedly return sooner than I would like them to due to the vast number of spidery friends I live with – and now the space is totally livable.

Even though it’s only been a few hours, I already have two suspicions. First, I have the feeling I will spend most of my time in my bedroom area because even though it’s only a trailer, it still feels really big to live here by myself. Also, I have the inkling that I am going to become very good at tuning out pig noises. Just five feet from the door of my trailer are two stalls with five full-sized pigs in them. Five very loud full-sized pigs, to be more accurate. To make this even better, one of the sows gave birth to three piglets around Christmas so soon enough the chorus of squeals will be almost doubled. Note: I realize that this can easily be perceived as sarcasm but I thought I should set the record straight and say that I actually do enjoy living next to the pigs (thus far).

I can already tell I am going to grow fond of this trailer.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you have turned the trailer into your own space. Good for you and cheers to the first day!

    ReplyDelete