Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ribbit


Because of the slow-moving pace of work I have started running after work, just from one side of the farm to the other to keep some sort of basic fitness. The run starts on the gravel driveway towards 16 and then branches off to the right where you first pass a row of juniper trees and then later a pool of brown water in a ditch by the side of the path. It's only shortly after the rustle of the doves fluttering from the trees that you begin to hear the chorus of croaking. Never letting themselves be seen, I always imagine loads of toads crouching in the reeds, only quieting down when I jog noisily by.

For weeks Antonio and I have been arguing over whether they are frogs or toads. But I didn't actually get to see one of them until yesterday when Antonio came and got me from the kitchen as I was washing eggs. He took me out to his pickup and showed me two toads huddling by an old tarp in the back. Or at least I'm pretty sure they're toads. But just to be safe I've temporarily named one of them Frog and the other Toad.

2 comments:

  1. did you ever read Frog and Toad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea! that's sort of why I named them that. But then I thought it would be much more clever to name one of them Ribbit and the other Croak...It's sort of too late now though because I let them go. They didn't want to eat anything I gave them and plus they were starting to smell nasty

    ReplyDelete