Wednesday, December 2, 2009

And so it begins.

The first few weeks of not being on the farm were certainly welcome, a little break from sore muscles and getting up early was nice. Now after being sick for a few days in a row, that has all changed. Outside the world is autumnal and beautiful, and meanwhile I'm stuck inside trying to speed my recovery so I can go out and enjoy what I'm missing. When I'm not sleeping, I drink tea, or I look outside, or I put on another pair of socks, or I read Farm City (a book I just got about an urban farmer).

Farm City. I'm only about 100 pages in but to be honest, I'm not too impressed. I can't really put my finger on it, it just doesn't grab me the way I wish it would. That in mind, I must definitely give Novella Carpenter credit for having roused me from my sickly stupor enough to inspire me to do something. I believe that in itself is reason enough for me to praise this book royally.
I've been wanting to build planter boxes for a while, but it wasn't really until I opened up Novella's book and fell into her urban farm that I realized I too could have my little sanctuary. (The petting zoo may not go over so well with my mother, but the vegetables are definitely manageable.)

So, with that begins my quest. I will build a planter box for my mother's garden.
I have exactly 16 days until I fly back east to visit family. Doubtful that I will finish in time. But in any case, the race begins.

1 comment:

  1. Yesssssss. By blogging, you pretty much legitimize my creeping on you. Excellent.

    Good luck on your quest! I'm going to do something a little similar here, I'll keep you updated once plans become a little more explicit..

    (p.s. the awkward smile in my photo is on purpose. just fyi) :]

    ReplyDelete