Thursday, May 6, 2010

You never know what can happen when you just bake a cake

Love is definitely in the air. I see the cows licking each other every day as I milk, and even the cats seem to be grooming each other more frequently. On Saturday there's going to be a wedding too! There are shotgun shells lying in the yard to prove it. (The bachelor party was held here last weekend and all they did was shoot clay pigeons for seven hours.) We even butchered two lambs for the feast.
Unfortunately, I forgot all about this tiny detail Tuesday night as I walked into the cooler to get a cup of flour for a cake I was making. The sun having just set, I walked through the stretching shadows over to the crew kitchen with my bowl to fill up two cups of flour. To my surprise I opened the door to find two hanging carcasses dripping blood onto a parchment paper-covered floor. I jumped backwards in fright and almost dropped my bowl as I stood shaking, looking at the pink fleshy bodies hanging upside-down. But it only took a few seconds for my complete shock to turn into curiosity. I remember having passed by the same two sheep in the morning on my way to milk and now here they hung in front of me. What a transformation. Never had I seen an entire lamb like this, each muscle defined and sculpted across the body in different sections. It suddenly seemed so huge!

1 comment:

  1. From love to shock to shiver to curiosity to amazement to transformation to aesthetic appreciation- more reasons why you can be a doctor or an artist ... an artistic doctor ?

    ReplyDelete