Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eggs-actly!

Forgot to mention a near catastrophe yesterday at lunch. With so many broken eggs that we can't sell at market I decided to make a crazy dessert item for lunch. If I haven't already said it, dessert has become close to obligatory now. Alex started it by making his signature chocolate chip cookies every lunch and since then it has taken off.
Well anyway, yesterday I decided to make meringues. The flavor turned out well but the presentation was a bit sub-par. The insides were deliciously gooey with a crunchy shell but as soon as we scraped them off the sheet they shriveled into tiny crumpled morsels.
After using up so many egg whites I decided something needed to be done about the yolks so I set off making an "eight yolk delight" with my last fifteen minutes. Being a bit rushed I read the first half of the recipe and then accidentally jumped to the second half of a completely different recipe! Instead of throwing it away I ended up spooning the thick, yellow, cookie batter-like substance into a pan just to try my luck and I'm glad I did because it didn't turn out quite as puke-alicious as I had expected. To my surprise it was not all that bad, just a bit plain and dense. Rawley convinced me to then spruce it up and serve it at his lunch today with a creamcheese frosting and some strawberries on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment